Tuesday, June 3, 2008

June Update

So here is my monthly update for all. It's now June 3rd and I have only two months left of my didactic year at ISU in the Physician Assistant program. These past semesters have been different than any other semester that I'm used to in a school setting. Staying in one classroom eight hours a day, fives days a week with the exact same people has its ups and downs. The only down to it is that you don't get that "meet new people" experience every semester. However, that's an upside as well. Because of the way the schedule is set up we get to know each other for much longer than just a semester. There have been many new friendships made. Another good thing about our class is that every day at lunch many of us go over to the gym for a couple games of basketball. Most of the time we have enough to play five on five, and sometimes even more. The court becomes a little packed when we're playing six on five or six on six. However, that hour lunch is sacred to us because of the break from class. Once a lecturer starts to impose on that hour or even go over the time the majority of us start to get antsy and tune out.
Last week we had the week off of school and I went down to Ogden. I took my Wii down and got the new Wii Fit game and balance board. That was a big hit with the fam and we spent many a night battleing who could get the highest score on the ski jump, marble game, and soccer ball game. Currently the records are as stands: Marble Game - Janice 1st place with 122 points, Soccer Ball - Tyler 1st place 288 points, and Ski Jump - Tyler 1st place 364 meters (Chad use to hold the first place record at 358 meters but that is in the past....sorry Chad)I've been progressing a lot in my internship since January. The MD and PA there have let me see my own patients for a couple of months now (granted they will always see the pt before he/she leaves to ensure that I'm doing and discussing the proper things with the pt). The psychiatrist and PA that I've been working with are really great and they are always willing to answer my questions or teach me a little pearl here and there. Yesterday the MD asked me if I were interested in a career in psychiatry. Lately she's been pushing me to really consider psych. I don't know if that is because there is a need for it or I would do well in it. I don't know how interested in psych I would be for a career. I'm more into ER medicine and possibly family medicine but if coming out of clinicals I could get an instant job in psych that would pay off my student loans I would do that in a heartbeat. That might mean a couple extra years in Pocatello but I would get rid of loans faster.
I was called as the ward clerk a few weeks ago but haven't been set apart yet because I haven't been around to be set apart. Ok, so I don't know exactly what it is I'm supposed to do yet but that's what the church website is for. I hear there are some instructional videos that I can look at to kind of give me an idea. If not, I'll learn over time.
So while down in Utah I lost my driver's license and student ID card (they fell out of my wallet). I originally thought that they fell out while mountain biking around Snow Basin but I just got a call from my renter and someone found them and mailed them to my house in Ogden. So lucky for me I don't have to get a license here in Idaho. Here's what I would have had to go through if I did need to get an Idaho license: Have Utah's DMV fax Idaho my driving record, original birth certificate, proof that I live in Idaho, photo ID, and then take the Idaho written exam. It's been ten years since I've taken a written driving exam and I'd probably bomb it miserably. Getting a duplicate in Utah would be almost as difficult just without the exam but an extra drive to Utah at $4 a gallon.
So that's a little of what's going on right now. Stay tuned for updates....

1 comment:

HDVB said...

Tyler! Hey I am so glad that you found us! So, just to give you a little bit of competitive spirit...I got a 500 on the ski jump and my sister holds the soccer record at 600...so when you get a min. let me know what your new score is :)